Not to put a downer on your holiday festivities and indulgences, but this may be a article to glance at if you struggle with sugar all-year-around. Sugar breaks down and is stored as fat from many foods from candy to wheat and dairy. Sure, we should be aware of the impact of sugar on the waistline, but do you know that sugar can make your skin look older? Research has found that diets high in sugar may not be so sweet for your skin, causing wrinkles, sagging and possibly even acne. Sugar can trigger a process known as glycation—meaning that sugars in the bloodstream can attach to protein and create a by-product that damages collagen and elastin, leading to connective tissue damage in your skin. Glycation can also discolor your skin, making it look sallow or yellowish, and leave your skin more susceptible to sun damage.
If that’s not bad enough, there is also some evidence that high sugar diets can worsen acne. Sugar triggers a rush of insulin and hormones, which some scientists suspect can stimulate oil production and inflame the skin.
Luckily, there are some ways that you can reverse or prevent some of the damage from your daily dessert habit!
Take the sweet out:
- Cakes, candy, soda—all the obvious sources of sugar—should be eaten rarely or at least in moderation.
- Your skin can also be affected by the not-so-obvious sources of sugar, including white breads, white rice and pasta, and ingredients that are sugar under a different name: maple syrup, corn syrup, turbinado, dextrose and fructose.
- Consuming foods rich in antioxidants can prevent glycation from occurring, so up your daily intake of things such as berries, dark green vegetables, green tea and dried herbs (think cinnamon, ginger, tumeric, oregano).
- Watch your grain and gluten intake. Many of these foods are taken in - in excess and break down into sugars.
Treat the surface of your skin:
- Antioxidants in skincare products can also help improve the tone and texture of your skin. Kasia Organics Skin Care are packed with antioxidants and can help your skin fight back against damage.
- Retinoids can help replace the collagen that you may lose through glycation.The Kasia Skindeep Organic Medi-Peel and/or Facial have a 2.0% Retinaldehyde, making it the only non-acid peel that will infuse the dermis with fibroblast stimulators, immune boosters, antioxidants, pigment lighteners, and calming anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial ingredients. Expect results with this powerful synergy that rejuvenates the skin by increasing collagen production, fighting free radical damage, scavenging scar tissue and helping reduce hyperpigmentation making it an amazing treatment for any skin type or condition.
Don't forget your sun protection:
- Since high sugar diets can leave your skin more sensitive to the sun, wear a sunblock of at least SPF 30 daily.
- Kasia LOVES La Bella Donna's Loose Minerals for all day sun care.
- Kasia Good Day Sunshield is an every day must must must!
Super-potent yet lightweight, this non-chemical sunscreen provides healing and moisturizing properties along with true broad-spectrum UAV/UVB protection and 5% zinc and titanium. Formulated for sensitive skin, it’s safe for the entire family and is PABA and fragrance-free. Perfect for wearing under makeup!