Genetics, 23 and Me, and MTHR are all phrases you’ve possibly seen in the last year around the discussion of optimizing our genetic health.
I’m also sure you’ve heard of the “80/20” rule. Well, below you’ll learn the importance and how I’ve put a new flare to this concept and relate it to our DNA health.
The truth of the matter is that in relation to genetics - science proves that 80% of our health state is from the daily choices and our direct environment. The other 20% is hard coded. This should come a a great relief (and a little pressure of course).
Did you know our nutrition has a DNA to it as well? It’s how it helps heals us.
Improve Your Longevity and Aging Adding Epigenetic Influence of Foods and Supplements
Learning more about what we eat and what impact it may have on our bodies, especially the potential epigenetic impact it may have on our DNA – the very “code of life” – is just one step on the path to better health.
When’s the last time you really thought about how the foods you eat positively or negatively affect your body, health, and wellbeing?
With more research and an increasing amount of practitioners, we can begin to unravel the mysteries of what may be contributing to our ailments and what could be done to help improve our health with a much more comprehensive understanding.
It’s intriguing to follow the progress of epigenetic testing and the benefits that analyzing the epigenome can have on guiding proper health regimens.
Polyphenols, for example, which are found in foods such as fruits, vegetables, olives, and chocolate, have been shown to be effective in promoting resilience again stress and reducing depression.
The combination of these compounds were found to epigenetically reduce stress and depression by modulating inflammatory responses and synaptic plasticity in the brains of those with depression.
So just for you, here’s the list of the most powerful foods studied to address your genetic health at the cellular level?
To age better. Feel better. To think better.
The Most Influential Foods for Genetic Health and Aging
Broccoli sprouts—Best source of sulforaphane, which prevents brain aging, excess estrogen and lowers cancer risk.
Pomegranate—anti-oxidant which appears also to reduce blood cholesterol count.
Neuroprotection, hearing and memory loss, possible anti-cancer benefits.
anti-inflammatory action via several independent mechanisms
Anti-inflammatory and possibly anti-cancer. Slows Alzheimer's progression.
Anti-oxidant, anti-cancer and anti-Alzheimer's effects
Great for cellular oxygenation and free radical repair
Fish—for omega 3 oils.
The best sources (in order) are mackerel, herrings, sardines, tuna, lake trout, sturgeon, salmon, anchovies, bluefish, halibut, bass, rainbow trout.
For alpha lipoic acid and lycopene
(broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale) for vitamins, anti-oxidants and anti-carcinogens.
Raw garlic and almonds.
May help reduce arterial plaques and lower homocysteine levels, lowering heart attack risk.
Creates homeostasis and everyday stress resilience
At the beginning of a meal, tempers the body's subsequent spike in blood sugar in response to carbohydrates.
Soy is a mixed blessing.
The phytoestrogens in soy products seem to protect against heart disease and some cancers. But there is a theory afloat that high consumption of soy may contribute to brain aging.
In closing, I hope this list of powerful DNA enhancing nutrients make it onto your shopping list! In return, it’ll protect you from the small daily chronic levels of stress we are exposed to everyday.
CHEERS! xo Love n’ Ligh, Kassandra