There are lots of reasons raw veggies are great for you. One reason besides the obvious nutrition factor? Radiant skin! By adding this Pumpkinseed and Herb Salad to your diet just once a week this month can help give you an extra healthy glow.
Here are some of the skin-care benefits with eating this easy salad:
Kale is packed with protein, iron, antioxidants, and loads of vitamins. Fresh herbs are all great, but specifically, parsley is known to help fight bloating, cilantro is cleansing, and mint is great for digestion. So much of the time, foods that benefit your digestion also help your skin.
Pumpkin seeds (and pumpkin seed oil) are high in zinc, a mineral that’s essential for getting glowy skin. Studies have shown it helps prevent and treat acne, as well. Hempseeds are high protein, contain all 9 essential amino acids, and are rich in omega-3s. Omegas are key to hydration. Finally, avocados are an amazing healthy fat, which helps make your skin look like you get weekly facials.
PUMPKINSEED AND HERB SALAD
This will make a big salad for one
All ingredients organic (ideally)
1 bunch curly kaleHandful parsleyHandful cilantroSmall handful mint1-2 Tbsp pumpkinseed oilJuice from ½ -1 lemons or a splash of apple cider vinegar¼ tsp Himalayan or sea salt½ avocado, roughly chopped1-2 Tbsp hempseeds
Fill a large salad bowl with washed and torn kale leaves, removing the hard stems. Add the parsley, cilantro, and mint leaves. Add 1 tablespoon of the pumpkinseed oil (more if you’re making a huge salad to share), and add the juice of half or a whole lemon. (You can also substitute raw apple cider vinegar for the lemon.) Sprinkle with about ¼ teaspoon fine salt.
Wash your hands, and then massaging the kale with both hands, mixing and squeezing the kale and herbs, so you fully coat it all with the dressing, and the kale breaks down and softens a bit (which will make it easier to digest).
You can add a small handful of whole pumpkin seeds, and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, which is high in vitamin B12. (A deficiency of Vitamin B12 can be a cause of dry skin and eczema.)
10 Reasons to Eat Pumpkin Seeds
1. Pumpkin is one of the foods recommended for weight loss and to help reduce cholesterol! It can also help with treating gastrointestinal disorders such as constipation, and indigestion. Pumpkin is loaded with fiber and it helps to lower the amount of bad cholesterol (LDL) and helps to regular blood sugar levels.
2. Pumpkin is super low in calories! In fact, 100 grams (about a half of a baked potato) is just 26 calories. It also has ZERO saturated fat or cholesterol.
3. Pumpkin is very rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, and vitamins. It contains 246% of RDA of Vitamin A! Vitamin A is also essential for your vision and studies have shown that it can help to protect against lung and other cancers.
4. Pumpkin is also a great source of B vitamins which help with cell growth and help to support a healthy metabolism!
5. Pumpkin is a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, and phosphorus.
6. Pumpkin is also helpful for reducing inflammation. Did you know that regular consumption of pumpkin can help protect you against arthritis and joint inflammation!? In fact, pumpkin seed oil has been found to be equally as efficient for arthritis as “indomethacin” (a commonly used drug).
7. Pumpkins have a light diuretic effect. This helps with flushing out toxins and other waste from your body, giving you more energy and leaving you feeling refreshed.
8. Pumpkin flesh also has something called L-tryptophan, which helps trigger feeling of happiness and well being. Eating pumpkin regurarly can help you to keep your spirits high and can help to prevent depression.
9. Eating pumpkin seeds will give you healthy and glowing skin (and who doesn’t want that!) It will also help to keep your skin hydrated and those wrinkles at bay. This is because it’s high in vitamin A, C, and E.
10. Pumpkins are loaded with Potassium and Zinc. Research has proven that diets rich in these minerals can help to prevent the onset of cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure, help to improve bone density, and also boost your immune system!