Xenoestrogens Wreak Havoc On Your 'Beautiful Health'
The article below is an important one, and truly does effect each of our lifestyles individually. I've had my own personal journey of being exposed to excess xenoestrogens, resulting in removing myself from the conventional salon industry and all the chemicals/products used "in it" for so long (thankfully this birthed Kasia Salon). Still today I am required to detox and rebuild the adrenal system due to toxicity and the havoc it does on the endocrince system long term.
Please take a read below for more of an understanding of xenoestrogens, and their effect on your "Beautiful Health."
Before discussing xenoestrogens, it is important to note the relationship of estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen (a group of hormones that, although in significantly higher levels in women, is also present in men) is basically a stimulant that promotes cell growth. Progesterone (a hormone made by women in the ovaries and men in the testes) is the most protective hormone the body produces and keeps cell growth in check. There is a delicate balance between estrogen and progesterone, and when that balance is disrupted, the effect is estrogen dominance. To add to the problem most doctors are prescribing synthetic hormone replacement therapies that have been proven to cause serious health risks, including breast cancer and heart disease. Do not be discouraged.
Xenoestrogens are man-made compounds that mimic hormones. They were introduced into the environment by industrial, agricultural and chemical companies. There are over 100,000 registered chemicals (99% of them are not adequately regulated) for use in the world that have hormonal effects in addition to toxic and carcinogenic effects.
Xenoestrogens cause estrogen dominance which in turn causes a multitude of health issues, including:
* Breast cancer (the increasing rate of breast cancer in North America has nearly tripled since 1950)
* Fibrocystic breasts
* Autoimmune disorders (such as lupus and thyroiditis)
* Increased blood clotting (increasing the risk of stroke)
* Allergies (including asthma, hives, rashes, sinus congestion)
* Acceleration of the aging process
* Uterine cancer
* Hair loss
* Fat gain
* Memory loss
* Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
* Prostate cancer
* Thyroid dysfunction
* Decreased male sexual performance
* Decreased sperm count
Xenoestrogens not only affect humans, but also affect our environment. Several studies have found a feminization of males in every class of vertebrate animals from fish to mammals. Aquatic animals are especially affected as they live in contaminated water. Xenoestrogens, through pesticides and herbicides, are also found on the produce we eat. Are you getting the picture yet? This epidemic is life threatening as it is not only affecting our health but also affecting our food sources.
Some sources of xenoestrogens include:
* Personal care products and cosmetics (Contain synthetic chemicals that are not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and may be the worst culprit as they are applied on the skin and directly absorbed into the body.)
* All artificial scents (air fresheners, perfumes, etc. contain phthalates)
* Detergents (Contain many synthetic chemicals, such as diethanolamine (DEA), which is suspected of increasing the risk of cancer, and sodium hydroxide, which is very caustic and can burn eyes, skin and internal organs.)
* Birth control pills and spermicides (Birth control pills promote continuously high levels of estrogen, and most spermicides contain nonoxynol-9 which breaks down into nonylphenol, a known xenoestrogen, and can increase the risk of infection.)
* Commercially raised meat (Beef, chicken and pork are injected with growth hormones.)
* Plastics, plastic bottles and plastic food wraps (Made with bisphenol-A, a compound used as a bonding agent to make plastics more stable and less breakable. Several studies have shown bisphenol-A to have severe adverse health effects.)
* Canned foods (Metal cans contain plastic linings with bisphenol-A to eliminate the metal taste in foods.)
* Styrofoam cups (made of polystyrene, a by-product of petroleum)
* Pesticides and herbicides (DDT was banned in the United States but it is still manufactured in the United States and shipped to Third World countries. (Have you noticed from where a large portion of our produce is coming?)
* Paints, lacquers and solvents
* Industrial wastes
We are being attacked by xenoestrogens from everywhere. In today’s world it is impossible to escape all of them. But, there are several ways you can begin to eliminate them from your home:
* Use organic personal care products (soaps, lotions, shampoos, deodorants, etc.)
* Use organic cosmetics and naturally based perfumes
* Use natural (bioidentical) progesterone instead of synthetic hormone replacement therapies (HRT) (You need to have your hormone levels checked before beginning any HRT program!)
* Use condoms without spermicide instead of birth control pills
* Use simple detergents with less chemicals, and don’t use fabric softeners as they put petrochemicals right onto your skin
* Avoid air fresheners that contain phthalates
* Avoid synthetic chemicals
* Avoid meats that contain growth hormones
* Buy organic produce that is grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides or synthetic fertilizers, and wash your food well
* Use glass or ceramic to store food and water
* Don’t use plastic goods, as all plastics leach into the environment
* Don’t microwave food in plastic or styrofoam containers, and avoid using plastic wrap to cover food when microwaving
* Use natural pest control, and eliminate all pesticides, herbicides and fungicides
Any changes you can make will not only increase your health and wellness, but will help to save our environment. For a healthier alternative in health care, personal care, cleaning, please visit www.kasiaorganicsalon.com, dedicated to promoting only those companies who produce truly natural products.
Here’s the deal—all of these estrogens, regardless of whether you get them from your environment or from yourself; you MUST get rid of them and you MUST protect yourself from them.
Stop in to Kasia Salon to learn more about chemical free & xenoestrogen free services as well as a wide variety of health, beauty, and supplement products that will help stay clear of harmful effects long term for you and your family!